Saturday, January 17, 2009

Broken Pipes, Broken Dreams

As I look at the thermometer and its -12F reading, I can't help but think back to a year ago. Rachel had a friend visit us in Seattle during a period of unusually warm weather. The sun was out, the sky was clear, so we took him to the top of the Space Needle where we captured some amazing pictures of the city.







And now, one year later, we were visited by a different friend, winter. Winter hasn't been by to see us in a few years, so he came bearing gifts. Among these gifts was a foot of snow (which we still haven't found a place for, so it's just sitting outside). And just the other night, he brought us sub-zero temperatures. I'm talking WAY sub-zero (wind chills of -35!). Wasn't that nice? And all he asked for in return was our running water.

Our condo, lovely as it is, is on a slab (no basement, no crawlspace, etc) so all of our plumbing is inaccessible. We have a frozen pipe somewhere downstream from our water meter (good and bad sign) and other than cranking up the heat in our house and calling a plumber, there's nothing else we can do. Luckily we found one faucet that provides us with water (hot water too!) so we aren't totally screwed...though I don't think I've bathed in a sink since I was an infant. Anyways, we are doing the responsible thing, packing up and staying with our parents for the weekend while we let the landlord deal with it. I have to leave right now though, there's another 6-8" of snow on its way. I think our wintery friend has overstayed his welcome...





No comments: