Monday, July 28, 2008

Day 1: Seattle, WA --> Missoula, MT

What better way to commemorate my last day in Seattle than with my very first blog. After 4 intense days of packing and 2 very intense days of long goodbyes
     (that still weren't long enough)
Rachel and I had our entire apartment packed up into an 8 x 7 x 6ft moving container.

Before



After



I never thought that one picture could summarize my entire life, but alas there it is. By way of some miracle, we were able to shove everything we own in there. I want to throw out a special thanks to Katie and Rob for taking a bunch of crap off our hands. I hope you two get a lot of use out of that DVD player and box full of condiments from our refrigerator. So once packing was done we met up with Rob for lunch
     (who coincidentally was present during my first meal in Seattle)
and by 2:00pm we were on the road with Rachel taking the first driving shift. By 2:03pm we had witnessed our first accident of the trip, and by 2:10pm we were passing through downtown for the final time. Before we knew it Seattle was long behind us and the endless wonder that is eastern Washington was spread out before us. For those of you who have never had the amazing opportunity to visit eastern Washington I should explain that it is a little bit different from the western part of the state. Once you clear Snoqualmie Pass the breathtaking mountains
     (and trees and wildlife and people)
cease to exist, but are replaced by tumbleweed and brush fires.




I know that looks like a dirty picture of the horizon, but that's actually smoke from a wild brush fire. Or at least that's what I thought it was. Rachel thought it was dust kicked up by a truck or some other impossibly large piece of farm equipment. But unless the rest areas nearby are supposed to smell like a giant pile of burning hay, I'd have to say I was right about this one.

After that the rest of our day was pretty uneventful. I took over driving shortly after passing through Spokane Valley. At around 6:00pm we entered the great state of Idaho



At around 6:05pm we entered the even greater state of Montana



Contrary to what I had always thought, Idaho and Montana weren't complete wastelands. Actually some of the scenery was quite stunning. We passed though these states near sunset/dusk so we couldn't really take any decent pictures. I wouldn't mind going back there someday and spending a little more time in those states. However, time is of the essence, and around 10:30pm we entered the parking lot of the Traveler's Inn near Missoula, MT. Not bad for the first day of our epic journey. I'm sure there will be plenty more exciting things to talk about tomorrow.

To everybody in Seattle: I miss you all terribly!
To my SL crew: I hope the first day without me wasn't too terrible!
To my fam in MI: See you soon!

Day 1 Stats
Distance traveled: 475 mi
Time in car: ~ 8 hours including stops
$ spend on gas: $83.44 (including the full tank we left with)
# of states: 3 (Washington, Idaho, Montana)
Squashed bugs on windshield: 143
Goal for tomorrow: Rapid City, SD

No comments: